Monday, April 26, 2010

DJ Session

Nico and I DJd a party this past Saturday to practice and get a feel for our main event. One of our goals of this project was to create a club where we would play a lot of music that isn't just the regular pop hits that you hear on the radio every day, if you are one of those people who listen to the radio. One of the problems we ran into at this party was the fact that many people only want to hear music that they are already familiar with. And I guess people only listen to the radio, because we got request after request of Lady Gaga and Black Eyed Peas. This is going to be a challenge to please the crowd with familiarity and still incorporate other more interesting types of music, but I think it can be done. My goal in the next few weeks is to ask a ton of people what their "go to song(s)" is/are in the club, and then try to incorporate these into some other tracks that I think are less popular but good club music. In order to get input and feedback I am planning to use the internet (possibly facebook) to get responses from as many people as possible. Lesson learned: familiarity is key.

1 comment:

  1. Darnit, I didn't see your advertisement for the party until it was too late :( Perhaps if you advertised it specifically as 'a better alternative than the top 40,' people would know to expect something different...

    ReplyDelete