Monday, April 26, 2010

Rubik's Cube Party Debrief

I'd like to build off of Yui's post and share my thoughts on the party and how we can learn from that experience to make our event the best it can be.


Lesson 1: DJing is not all fun and games. As Yui said, it was hard to find that balance between well mixed music with smooth transitions linking songs and tracks that people actually want to hear, keeping them on the dance floor. I think the key moving forward will be to better map out songs that mix well together in advance so that we're not under as much pressure during the event. The playlist we create does not have to be set in stone, but it will give us a better guide to keep the energy level high while still accommodating requests.


Lesson 2: Although I may be a bit biased, I think the lighting and general atmosphere was a success. I borrowed several lights from the Theatre Department and we used two strips of lights in the basement dance area located behind the DJ area. These LED strip lights changed with the beat of the music, adding a dynamic, visual component to the audio. Additionally I placed two lights on the second floor to shine out of the building into the Quad to attract attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment